Sunday, May 25, 2014

Rimrock Valerian Rocker (Rocky) 10 Apr 2001 to 19 May 2014

It is a sad day today as we said goodbye to Rocky.  The poor boy has been deteriorating steadily but over the past 2 to 3 weeks it has been more rapid.  It went from struggling but managing to get upstairs to last night when he collapsed in a heap walking across the kitchen floor.  It was one of the hardest decisions I have made as he was so good in himself.  His eyes were still bright and he was eating well.  He started drinking lots over the past 2 weeks and over the past week I had been getting up once or twice a night to let him out to the toilet.  He was amazing in that he would try to stand and most times managed but on occasions I had to help him.  He was finding it harder to squat.  He was still looking after himself and the front end was still looking really good.


Last night I decided to stay home from work and take him to the Vet.  I felt bad as he ate his tux biscuit with his usual gusto and his piece of toast.  He stayed on his bed for much longer than normal and then made it outside and lay in the sun.


We came home from the Vet's and let all the other dogs and cats say goodbye.  Shilo stayed in the back of the car with Rocky until I was ready to move him to his grave.  She has been really devoted to him and will miss him.  Casey and Rocky have always been good friends.  Casey seems sad too but with not hearing I think some of it is passing her by.  Rocky is now laid to rest beside Bruno with some of his favourite things.  I put the leftover of his favourite squeaky toy, a ball and an old bone in with him.  I planted a camellia on him and the alstoemeria back.

We Have A Secret
We have a secret, you and I
that no one else shall know,
for who but I can see you lie
each night in fire glow?
And who but I can reach my hand
before we go to bed
and feel the living warmth of you
and touch your silken head?
And only I walk woodland paths
and see ahead of me,
your small form racing with the wind
so young again, and free.
And only I can see you swim
in every brook I pass
and when I call, no one but I
can see the bending grass.
Author Unknown


RIP in my sweet gentle Rocky boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment